Committee on Cataloging: Description & Access
Announcements and Reports
CC:DA Meetings at ALA Midwinter Meeting
Washington, DC, January 13-15, 2001
Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access
- Saturday, January 13, 1:00 - 4:00 PM Four Points Sheraton, Franklin C/D
- Monday, January 15, 8:00 AM - 12:30 PM Four Points Sheraton, Franklin A/B
Task Force on ISO Harmonization
- Saturday, January 13, 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Capital Hilton, Federal A
Task Force on Specific Characteristics of Electronic Resources
- Saturday, January 13, 8:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Madison Hotel, Monticello Room
Task Force on an Appendix of Major and Minor Changes
- Sunday, January 14, 2:00 - 4:00 PM
Capital Hilton, Federal B
Agenda of the CC:DA Meetings
CC:DA Activities at ALA Midwinter Meeting in Washington
CC:DA will hold two meetings in Washington. The Saturday afternoon meeting
(please note the unusual start time) will feature the report of the ALA Representative to the Joint Steering Committee, Brian Schottlaender, who will report on the September 2000 meeting of JSC in London, England. In addition, CC:DA will hear reports from the following Task Forces:
Finally, the Saturday meeting will include reports from the Library of Congress Representative, Barbara Tillett, from the OCLC Representative, Glenn Patton, and from David Williamson on the
LC Bicentennial Conference on Bibliographic Control for the New Millennium.
The Monday morning CC:DA meeting will include reports from the following Task Forces:
- VRA Core Categories: This Task Force has been charged to review the metadata element set developed by the Visual Resources Association, and will present an interim report.
- ISO Harmonization: This Task Force has been charged to examine the conformity of AACR2 to various ISO standards, including the use of ISO symbols for metric units and the presentation of dates. The Task Force will meet on Saturday morning during the conference and will give a brief progress report at the Monday CC:DA meeting.
- Specific Characteristics of Electronic Resources: This Task Force is looking into the best method of describing the characteristics of electronic resources, including both physical characteristics and file characteristics. Issues to be considered include the future of Area 3 in Chapter 9 of AACR and the use of Area 5 for characteristics of remote-access resources. This Task Force will also meet on Saturday morning and will present a progress report at the Monday CC:DA meeting.
- Review of Revisions to Chapter 12 of AACR: This Task Force will continue to review the ongoing revision of Chapter 12 tentatively re-titled
Serials and Integrating Resources and will discuss a number of key issues about the scope and content of the chapter.
The meeting will conclude with reports from the MARBI Representative, Mark Watson, and from the CC:DA Webmaster, John Attig; and with a discussions of additional proposals for revision of Chapter 3 (Cartographic Materials) in AACR2, a proposal to revise rule 21.30J1, and on resource identifiers in AACR2 descriptions.
Joint Steering Committee for Revision of AACR Meeting in London, England
The Joint Steering Committee for Revision of AACR, chaired by Ann Huthwaite, met in London, England, 13-15 September 2000. The meeting was highly productive. Major agenda items included revisions to Chapters 9 (electronic resources) and 12 (serials and integrating resources) of AACR; revisions to Chapter 3 (cartographic materials); a new appendix on major changes to a bibliographic resource requiring creation of a new record; and a statement of the principles underlying AACR. See the report on this meeting by Brian Schottlaender, ALA Representative to JSC.
1999 Amendments to AACR2 Available as Free Download on ALAs Web site
CHICAGOJuly 27, 2000The Canadian Library Association, the Library Association and the American Library Association will offer a free, PDF version of the 1999 amendments to Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules, 2nd edition, 1998 revision, on ALA Web site. The Adobe Acrobat PDF file can be downloaded at www.ala.org/editions/updates/aacr2.
The Amendments 1999 are also available online in the ALA Store
The Amendments 1999 were agreed to by the Joint Steering Committee for Revision of AACR (JSC) at its Toronto meeting in October 1997 and its Leeds meeting in November 1998. They were approved for publication at the Brisbane meeting of the JSC in October 1999.
Library of Congress Conference on Bibliographic Control for the New Millennium: Confronting the Challenges of Networked Resources and the Web
The Library of Congress hosted a 2 1/2-day invitational conference on Bibliographic Control for the New Millennium: Confronting the Challenges of Networked Resources and the Web. The home page for the conference can be found at
A listing of speakers and their papers is given on the conference home page, as well as Webcasts of many of the papers.